Sunday, January 2, 2011

New Year Resolutions

I've never been one to make new year resolutions. Mostly because I know that within a month I'll forget about them entirely. So what's the point? I was going to avoid making any sort of "New Year" post, but here I am, posting anyway. I guess the importance of new year resolutions lies in its purpose. If its purpose is to satisfy my earthly longings- such as to be more fit (ha), eat better (no thanks), work harder, succeed in my job, get a raise- well there isn't much of an eternal purpose to that. So, in spite of the fear that I am going to forget these goals within a couple of months, I am going to make some resolutions for 2011. But aim at a higher purpose. One of my favorite verses is Philippians 3:10:

For my determined purpose is that I may become progressively more deeply and intimately acquainted with Him, perceiving and recognizing and understanding the wonders of His person more strongly and more clearly.
Philippians 3:10

I am realizing that I have not done much to accomplish this "determined purpose." So with this verse in mind, here is what I am praying for in 2011.


1. C.S. Lewis said, "Nothing that you have not given away will ever really be yours." I lived 2010 constantly dwelling on finances, accumulating more stuff, and saving for things that I can't bring with me once I leave this world. I want 2011 to be a giving year. I want to give like my parents give. I want to give with the knowledge that being in a financial situation where I can give is a blessing. I want giving to come before gaining.

2. I want to rediscover what it means to fall in love with Jesus. 2010 has been a growing year for me, but a lot of that growth came separately from my relationship with God, rather than because of it. I read a quote by C.S. Lewis (this is what happens when you follow him on Twitter...) that really grabbed me and unfortunately, defined me in a way I wish it didn't. "Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance, the only thing it cannot be is moderately important." I so often treat my relationship with God as moderately important. I want it to be of infinite importance. That's scary. I know a lot will have to change in my heart and my life for that to happen. But I've been told it's worth it. I am so lucky to have people in my life who are attempting to do this same thing and who are more than willing to work at this alongside of me.

3. I want to experience a God story every single day. I don't often look for ways God is working in my life. I moved to Pittsburgh because I felt he was leading me there. I know that if I let Him, he will use me in unimaginable ways here. If I let Him. He can do it without me, and has been since I have been so wrapped up in settling in and figuring out how to be successful at my job. So in 2011, I want to look for God- and let Him use me if he so chooses.

4. Last C.S. Lewis quote, I promise. "We meet no ordinary people in our lives." I want to see the people around me the way God does. I want to be more intentional with the ones that continually show up in my life. Whether it be at work, in my apartment, or in the church I finally settle down in. I want to get to know their story, find ways to serve them, and love them the way God does. I want to let them teach me, rather than thinking I am the one with so much to give.

5. I want to read. I want to read the bible more. I want to read challenging books. I want to read books that teach me more about God. I want to read books that challenge my stubborn point of view on things. I used to read all the time. Maybe I'll even write a book of my own.

May your 2011 be filled with many God stories of your own!

No comments: