Tuesday, January 11, 2011

My Senior Girls

For the past 3 years I have had the great joy of meeting, playing, laughing, drinking coffee, and sharing life with a beautiful group of girls. I have watched them love well and heard them ask meaningful questions as they dig into the word. I have also watched their hearts break and watched as some of their choices led them to a life that's missing God as they try to find out who they are on their own. There have been times when my heart has swelled with pride and times where I want to lock them in a room and never let them out again. But the one thing that has never changed is how much I love that they are willing to share their lives with me and how desperate they are to figure out this whole God is number one thing.

This past weekend five of those girls made the decision to go through Leadership Advance at Calvary. As I spent the weekend coaching them, observing them, and crying with them, I couldn't help but dwell on how far they have come. These girls came to LA with the goal of finding out who they are in Christ and how he has called them to lead as they begin to enter the next stage of their lives. They heard his call for authentic faith and blew me away with their honesty with each other. They stayed up late dissecting their personalities and how best to love each girl. As each one of them shared personal struggles and what God was revealing to them over the weekend, the response each time was, "How can we help, how can we pray for you?" They broke down walls and finally found the freedom in being real and intentional with each other. That brings a smile to my face. How wonderful it is to have friends who will build you up, hold you accountable, and love you through it all. Girls- don't let that go!!

So girls- I know that it is so hard to be real and intentional with our friends- we believe we have this image of perfection to uphold. But all that is is a horrible lie from Satan that is keeping you from have an authentic friendship centered in Christ. I am so proud of how far you have come
and I pray that you will continue to explore how to maintain these intentional relationships through the busyness of
school and the scariness of transitioning to a new chapter in your lives. I know that God is going to use each of you in incredible ways- if you let him. So hold tight to him and treasure your friendships with each other. Continue to figure out how you can love each other well, and remind each other to see themselves how God sees each and every one of you.

"The king is enthralled by your beauty. Honor him, for he is your lord." Psalm 45:11

No comments: