Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Holy Discontent

My dad has been preaching on Nehemiah. This past Sunday, he talked about the importance of our holy discontent being turned into action. Our holy discontent will fade away if we aren't willing to commit, sacrifice, and act. There were two points in particular, that really challenged me.

First, he talked about the next principle. Nehemiah 3:3-4 says, "The sons of Hassenaah built the Fish Gate. They laid its beams and set its doors, its bolts, and its bars. And next to them Meremoth the son of Uriah, son of Hakkoz repaired. And next to them Meshullam the son of Berechiah, son of Meshezabel repaired. And next to them Zadok the son of Baana repaired."

To be entirely honest, when I see a bunch of names, let alone names I can't pronounce, I tend to skip over those verses. I completely skipped over the next principle! I need to realize that God always has someone next to me on the wall. I have a place, but it's just one place. How encouraging and motivating to know that there are others next to me. I might not even see them, but I am not alone in going after my God-given holy discontent.

The second point that really grabbed me was a challenge to, "Do for one what you wish you could do for many." Do for one. I don't know about you, but that pretty much blows all of my excuses out of the water. It's so easy for me to say that I don't know where to start. That the need is too great for me to make a difference. But as this challenge may point out, how often do we miss our one because we are too overwhelmed by the many?

I'm not sure what your holy discontent is. I challenge you to figure it out, and ask God to move you into action. One thing I am passionate about is seeing every child at Agape Orphanage in Myanmar sponsored. While I'm not sure your one thing, would you prayerfully consider standing next to me in mine? It only takes a couple of clicks to sponsor one of these precious children- http://www.calvaryglobalkids.org/

I don't want to miss my one. I want to listen to God's call to invest deeply in my one, and trust that together with those next to me, we'll impact the many.


No comments: