It is currently raining in Sewickley. I am camped out in a Brugger's in downtown Sewickley and prolonging my stay as much as possible due to the fact that my umbrella is currently in my car. Great planning.
It seems rather fitting that the book I brought along with me to Brugger's is "Come Thirsty" by Max Lucado. What a stellar author- one of my favorites. I honestly can't remember where I got this book or when it made it's way to my shelf. But I am glad it did. It seemed to appear just when I needed to hear the words. Come Thirsty. As I started to read this book, I began to realize just how thirsty I was, spiritually.
Lucado compared physical thirst to spiritual thirst in a way that really hit me. Something so basic but just not something I ever bothered to dwell on. When we are thirsty, we drink water. While drinking water, we don't need to explain to the water which areas of our body we need it to penetrate. It knows. Jesus knows the same! He doesn't need my directions, but he needs my permission. Jesus won't come unless swallowed.
Immediately a picture came to mind of a child pursing their lips together and refusing to drink or eat what is being given to them. Then I realized how often I do that with the water Jesus so freely gives. My spirit has been restless lately, and I am sometimes overcome with feelings of loneliness. I chalked that up to it being so difficult being away from family and friends during the holiday season. But the truth is, I need to let Jesus penetrate my heart, be the water to my soul if I ever want to remove the restlessness in my spirit.
It's not that I don't want to drink in the Lord, I just so often let other things get in the way. So here is my new goal- to drink in the Lord as often as I drink in coffee. To stand outside in the pouring rain with my mouth open taking in as much water as possible- in a spiritual sense of course.
I hope you take time out of your day to drink in the water Jesus is offering us. If you do, you are sure to be satisfied.
On the last day of the feast, the great day, Jesus stood up and cried out, "If anyone thirsts, let him come to me and drink. Whoever believes in me, as the scripture has said, 'Out of his heart will flow rivers of living water.'" John 7:37-38
No comments:
Post a Comment