Saturday, June 5, 2010

He Loves

After a series of Target events, I was able to come home this weekend! I said peace out to my hotel, left Target just in time to hit rush hour, and made my way home on the awfully boring road that is 22. I usually spend my car time blasting nonproductive music and thinking about how boring driving can be. Especially on 22- it is something I dread driving on. The definition of boring. And a trap for drivers with a lead foot due to the consistent speed limit of ... 45. Woof.

At one point in my drive, as I was skipping through my ipod in true ADD fashion, I landed on Kim Walkers wonderful version of How He Loves. It was the first song I listened to all the way through. At one point the song goes like this:

"I don't have time to maintain these regrets, when I think about the way He loves us."

I know maintain and regret are common words but take a look at the definitions. According to Merriam Webster maintain is to continue in, to affirm in. Regret is defined as sorrow aroused by circumstances BEYOND ONES CONTROL. I somehow seem to find a LOT of time to maintain my regrets. In fact, even on my car ride home I was soaking in some of my most recent regrets. Regrets of graduating, friends moving, Pittsburgh traffic. I wondered why I always seemed to have time to dwell on these regrets.

Kim Walker told me it's because I'm not thinking about the way He loves me. And she's right. I so easily put God in a box and only think about him when I have my designated quiet time or when I want cars to suddenly break down for cutting me off in rush hour traffic. I don't take time during the day to soak in His love- to feel his presence. My ability to find affirmation in my regrets is proof of that. Because when I take a moment to attempt to comprehend just a sliver of how much God loves me and wants to have a relationship with me, nothing else matters. I laughed after I sang that line in the song. Because quickly, nothing else seemed to matter. God loves me. The most powerful being in the ENTIRE world, the creator of the earth we live in, my creator- He loves me. He loves me with a kind of love that rivals that of my parents. He loves me with a kind of love that doesn't stop when I mess up (a lot). He loves me with a kind of love that continues even when I don't acknowledge it or find affirmation in it. He loves me with a love that will never end.

When I think about that kind of love, my regrets seem rather silly. So this is my new challenge as I continue life in Pittsburgh- whenever I find myself maintaining my regrets, or saying statements that begin with "if only", I am going to slap myself (figuratively) and take some time to just soak in His love. The bible is FILLED with verses that declare the Lords love for us. So if you find yourself maintaining your regrets, go find some love verses that you can use to combat those times. How wonderful life is when I found myself consumed with thoughts of His love!!

But I am like an olive tree flourishing in the house of God; I trust in God's unfailing love for ever and ever. Psalm 52:8

The LORD appeared to us in the past, saying: "I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with loving-kindness" Jeremiah 31:3

As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. John 15:9

2 comments:

Lauren said...

A+..thanks for your thoughts and challenges :) Keep them coming!!

Unknown said...

So...you clearly have your Dad's gift with crafting your thoughts into beautiful writing...what in the world did you get from me? Hopefully more than your blonde moments:)