Question number 2: What is my mind set on?
"For to set the mind on flesh is death, but to set the mind on the Spirit is life and peace." Romans 8:6
As I was reading more of Sarah Young's daily devotional, there was a day focused on what our mind is most often set on. In it, she gave a challenge for me to ask His Spirit to control my mind, so that I can think great thoughts of Him.
Both the verse in Romans and that challenge stayed with me. Put so simply, yet so powerful if I actually put it into practice. It's no secret; my mind is often set on and consumed by flesh. It's pretty intense for that to be compared to death...but it's so true! This past year, in many ways, has been like death for me. Pittsburgh has been a trial, and I responded by setting my mind on work rather than my relationship with the Lord. That has caused my heart to often be void of the heavenly peace and feelings of eternal joy that I so treasure. My mind needs to be set on the Spirit!
My first thought is, but that's too hard! But Romans 8 gives me hope- it is possible. The Holy Spirit can control my mind! But, am I willing to give up control? Am I willing to set my mind fully on the Spirit and trust that he will lead me in the right direction? Because if I set my mind on Him, there isn't room to worry about what direction I'm heading and whether or not I'll like it. There isn't room to worry about if or how I'll make it through this current trial. There isn't room for me to try and fit my agenda into God's. There's only room for Him.
Set my mind on the Spirit- and only one thing will be necessary. Jesus.
What is your mind set on? Your job? Your family? A failing relationship? A current trial? Look to Jesus. Set your mind, your heart, your eyes on him and he will lead you. I encourage you to pray, along with me, that the Holy Spirit will take control of our minds, our hearts. May our thoughts be set on him!
1 comment:
I love this and I love you!!! We need to catch up :)
Post a Comment