Thursday, June 2, 2011

Firsts and Lasts


There are a few special girls in my life that are about to end another chapter of their lives- high school. It is the beginning of a lot of "lasts." Tomorrow, they have their last day of high school. For some of them, their last day of school in PA. And while the lasts are hard (and quite emotional), I'm more excited about the stuff that brought them to their "lasts" and the way it has prepared them for some new "firsts." I get emotional whenever I think about the last year these girls have had and the incredible way I have watched God shape their hearts. So, I'm going to take a moment to brag about them by sharing the two things I am most proud of.

1. I am so proud of the decision they made to be real, intentional, and vulnerable in their friendships with one another. They were able to push past all of the gossip, stereotypes, and differences that tend to define high school and share their hearts. It made experiencing the lasts of high school more special and ensures they will continue to be apart of each other's firsts in this next season.

2. I am so proud of the way these girls have been real with God. They have asked tough questions. They have searched for God, been mad or confused by God, and fallen in love with God. Their desire to know who they are in Christ and how they can use the gifts he blessed them with to glorify him challenges me. I have no doubt that not only is God going to bless all of the lasts they are experiencing together, but he is also going to show up in big ways in all of their firsts.

It is hard to end a chapter. It's emotional to say goodbye to the friends you have grown so close to and begin to remember how to make new ones. But these girls have built their friendship centered around the one thing in this world that never changes- Christ Jesus. That brings comfort in the lasts and hope in the firsts.

Girls, I can't say enough how proud I am of you and how much I love you! I have been so blessed to be a part of your lives. It has been so fun to watch your friendships go deeper and to watch you not only live life together, but fall in love with God together. Thanks for letting me be a part of that. I am excited to see you graduate, and even more excited to hear about your first years at college. And while you may not have any more "first" days of school with these girls by your side, we do have a "first" Christmas break that will demand a lot of sleepovers and waffle shop dates!


"And it is my prayer that your love may abound more and more, with knowledge and all discernment, so that you may approve what is excellent, and so be pure and blameless for the day of Christ, filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ, to the glory and praise of God." Philippians 1:9-11

No comments: